Additional Involvement Opportunities
Rutgers University Student Involvement offers a wide variety of opportunities to develop, explore, challenge and test your leadership potential. These outside-of-the-classroom experiences give our students a competitive edge in the internship, graduate school and career application processes.
A scholarly article titled Student Involvement: A Developmental Theory for Higher Education by Dr. Alexander Astin, published in the Journal of College Student Development, indicated that students who choose to get involved in extracurricular activities are less likely to drop out, are more involved academically, and experience a higher level of student learning and personal development than those who do not.
A Job Outlook Survey conducted by the National Association of College Employers (NACE), identified the top five personal qualities/skills employers seek in hiring college graduates: verbal and written communications skills; strong work ethic; teamwork skills; initiative; and interpersonal skills.
Organizational opportunities with Student Involvement that aid in the development of these skills or competencies include:
- Student Organization Officers/ Members (Over 450 Unique Organizations on Campus)
- Rutgers University Student Assembly (Student Government Representatives, Assembly Members or Allocations Board Members)
- Student Government Council Representatives or Senators (Rutgers Business School, Rutgers Pharmacy School, Mason Gross, Douglass Residential College, Rutgers Engineering School, and the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences).
- Advisory Board Members
- Off Campus Student Association Officers/Members (Commuter Council)
- Religious and Spiritual experience on campus
- Peer Trainers for Organization Office Training
- Student Involvement Undergraduate Interns
- Student Involvement Office/Project Assistants or Managers
Student Involvement strives to create organizational opportunities that fit any interest, schedule or skill-set. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can connect you with the appropriate University staff member, department or campus partner.