The Program Planning Checklist is guide you will find helpful as you plan your events. It details the timelines of actions your organization must take to successfully execute an event. You can download it here.

Chalking On Campus

As a registered student organization, you may use chalking as a way to publicize campus events or express an opinion on current issues. However, use of chalk for any other purpose is prohibited. Failure to abide by this standard will result in disciplinary fines and the removal of the chalked messages.

Chalking Guidelines:

  • Request Chalking through the Meetings and Events Office
  • Drawings may not be destructive or libelous in any way.
  • The University does not provide chalk for the purposes of this policy.
  •  Messages must be written at least 30 feet from the entrance to any building and at least two feet from any grass areas or plants. 
  • Chalking may only be done on asphalt and concrete walkways (not brick) as long as these areas are exposed to the weather elements.
  • Messages shall not be written on any vertical surface, which includes buildings, signs, walls, pillars, posts, benches, planters, doors, windows, fountains, gates, retaining walls, bridges, trash receptacles, steps, light posts, bus stops, posters, tables, trees, etc.
  •  Chalking is allowed for five working days; cleanup must be conducted by the responsible party at the conclusion of the 5th working day. It is the sole responsibility of the requester. If chalking is not removed, there will be a charge for the cleanup of $50. 
  • Chalk must be both water-soluble and erasable; Spray chalk or grease based chalk is prohibited
  • The individual who received permission to chalk must be present at the time of the chalking and have a copy of the approved “Chalking Request Form” form with him or her.

 The Division of Student Affairs reserves the right to deny any request.

Event Security

 The Rutgers University Police Department collaborates with your Advisor and Student Center staff to determine the type and number of officers necessary for security coverage at organizational programs and events.

If RUPD officers are assigned to your event, you or your advisor will receive an invoice for services rendered. Provided the event is funded by RUSA Allocations, and a quote for security related services is received, reviewed and approved in advance by your Advisor, RUSA Allocations will cover RUPD costs for student organization events. 

If you are receive funding from RBGA and SEBS Allocations, you must contact hem for additional funds.

Large Events

Rutgers University Division of Student Affairs defines large events as programs with many complex variables regarding event type, attendance size, and facility limitations and use. Factors considered in implementing Large Event policies include:

  • Type of Event (concert, dance, fashion show, talent show, party, etc.);
  • Day, time, of event as well as University calendar (e.g. Alumni weekend, home football games, Halloween, and other major holidays, etc.);
  •  Location and event  setup;
  • History of sponsoring group and  performers or act;
  • Number of attendees;
  • Attendance open or closed to non-University community.

Depending on the scope of the event, the following policies may apply:

Cash Handling Policy:

·     Cash collections at the door exceeding $250.00 require at least one police or security officer. All cash collected must be deposited with the Student Centers, whereupon the student organization will be either issued a check or the amount will be deposited into the student organization’s account.

Guest Policy:

·     Rutgers University students, faculty, and staff are limited to one guest and are responsible for their behavior and actions. This responsibility extends to the areas immediately surrounding the event location, both during and after the event. All hosts must register their guests in advance. Guests and hosts must arrive at the event together, present valid ID for admittance, and depart the event together. All guest names are recorded along with the names of Rutgers University hosts.

Metal Detector Policy:

·     Metal detectors will be used for large events as deemed appropriate by the scope of the event criteria as assessed by Student Centers’/Recreation/Athletics staff members and Rutgers University Police Department.

Security Policy:

·     The Student Centers, in consultation with Rutgers University Police Department, determine security for large events. Depending on event scope determine by the event factors listed above, security may include one police or security officer for cash collections, one police or security officer per 100 attendees, and additional security for metal detectors. Student Center staff may also be required. The sponsoring organization, department, or client is responsible for the cost of police and other staff required for security. Student organizations are required to provide event monitors as specified by the facility. Wristbands or another tracking system may be required.

Ticket Sale Policy:

·     Student organizations are encouraged to have advanced ticket sales through SABO (Student Activities Business Office) or contact tables available at all Student Centers. Depending on the scope of the event, ticket sales may not be permitted.  Please refer to Ticket Sale policy for more information.

Outside Events:

·     Large, outside events need prior permission from your Advisor and other appropriate entities before any planning of the event is to take place.  Large, outside events are approved on a case by case basis.

Off-Campus Events

 At certain times, registered student organizations will sponsor events at an off-campus facility. Student organizations are not encouraged to host off-campus events because it limits the opportunity for students to participate. However, should your organization plan such an event, it is required that you schedule an appointment with your organization’s Advisor and to keep them involved in your planning process from the beginning.

Issues to keep in mind when planning off campus events:

  • Liability
  • Negotiation of contracts (with the facility’s management)
  • Financial management (off-campus facilities can be quite costly)
  • Security


  • Contracts for off-campus events will not be signed unless all necessary funds are on deposit in Student Activities Business Office.
  • Tickets must be sold in advance of any off-campus scheduled program
  • At the completion of the event, all contracted financial obligations should be satisfied by a Rutgers University Student Activities Business Office Accounting Check.

Public Viewing of Films/Movies

The showing of movies and films is a popular program for student organizations. However, it is important that student organizations abide by “public performance” laws to ensure they are not infringing upon film makers’ copyrights.  Renting a movie without public distribution licensing or bringing in a personal copy to show your membership for the general public isILLEGAL and subjects the parties involved (students, your organization and possibly the University) to fines up to $50,000.  To abide by the copyright laws, a site license must be purchased.

What is a “Public Performance?”

Public viewing, or “performance,” of a film or video includes, but is not limited to the following:

  • Showing a film/video in places open to the public.
  • Showing a film/video to certain groups of people gathered in places not open to the public (such as a residence hall floor, fraternity house, private lounge area, etc.)
  • Showing a film or video by broadcast or transmission.

A good rule to follow is: a “public performance” is any film/video viewing that extends beyond the scope of a single family or friends. Some common student organization programs that would require the securing of a site license are: Movies/videos shown in student centers, academic space and/or residence halls and outdoor movies. The organization is required to purchase a site license, whether or not the film/video is advertised, admission is charged or if it is free. In addition, the organization’s status (not-for-profit) does not impact the group’s requirement to purchase a license. Any group that publicly presents a motion picture (by using a VCR/DVD player, pre-recorded video cassette, DVD, rental, streaming service (Netflix, Hulu, etc) or unauthorized interception of a cable transmission) without first securing permission from the copyright owner violates the Copyright Act and subjects themselves to statutory damages, forfeiture of equipment and tapes, and attorney fees. Student organizations need to be aware that the penalties for copyright infringement may include substantial fines and imprisonment.

Exceptions for Obtaining a Movie Copyright

There are two times when movie copyrights do not need to be obtained.

 1.     Movies for In Classroom Use:

In classroom performance of copyrighted videotape are permissible under the following conditions:

  • The performance is by instructors or by pupils
  • The performance is part of the class curriculum.
  • The performance is in connection with face-to-face teaching activities.
  • The entire audience is involved in the teaching activity.
  • The entire audience is in the same room or same general area.
  • The teaching activities are conducted by a non-profit educational institution.
  • The performance takes place in a classroom or similar place devoted to instruction, such a school library, gym, auditorium or workshop.
  • The videotape is lawfully made; the person responsible had no reason to believe that the videotape was unlawfully made.

2.   Movies from Joyce Kilmer Library:

Any movie that is checked out from the Joyce Kilmer Library already contains a copyright through the library; therefore, this movie can be shown to the Rutgers University, and greater community, without needing to purchase a copyright.  Please note that student organizations must borrow the film from the library andmay not show a personal copy that the library also owns.

How Do We Obtain a Site License?

To secure a site license for a video or a film, the student organization must contact a major film distributor, such as Swank Motion Pictures or New Yorker Films. These companies distribute films of the major studios and are equipped to provide licenses for public viewings. Licenses can be purchased for a one time viewing, multiple viewings, or for the viewings of several films/videos over an extended period of time. Keep in mind that licenses are provided for films/videos that are rented “through an authorized dealer.” Videos that are rented from a retail outlet (i.e., RedBox, Blockbuster, Netflix, etc.) are provided for home use only and the retail owner cannot legally provide the broader rights available through a distributor. In addition, when an individual or organization buys a film/video, it does not give them the right to view it publicly. Ownership of a film/video and the right to publicly show it are two different things. The first time the organization shows the film/video outside the home or to an audience beyond family and friends, they have violated the copyright law and may be liable.

Who Should We Contact?

New Yorker Films: 212-645-4600

Swank Motion Pictures: 800-876-5577

Motion Picture Assoc. of America: (914) 333-8892

Rutgers University Media Center: 732-932-9783

Raffles & Games of Chance

 Games of Chance, limited to raffles and bingo, are lawful activities in the State of New Jersey when, and only when, the sponsoring organization is registered with the state and licensed with the local township in which the drawing takes place and the prizes are awarded. The initial procedure to register a sponsoring organization and license their activity is as follows. Additional guidelines from the New Jersey Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission may apply once a sponsoring organization becomes registered.

The sponsoring organization must first submit an Initial Affidavit and Application for Biennial Registration (found at: at the bottom of the page, click Applications), along with the organization’s constitution and bylaws, to the New Jersey Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission. Political clubs and organizations are not eligible to apply for registration.

There is a fee for the registration certificate ($100, nonrefundable) and it is a biennial (2-year) registration for the requesting organization. Checks must be made payable to the “Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission.” If approved, the registration certificate will be mailed to the requesting organization along with a copy of the legalized games of chance laws for the State of New Jersey, which usually takes up to 90 days if the application is filled out completely and satisfactorily. For additional information, contact:

New Jersey Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission
P.O. Box 46000
Newark, NJ 07101
(973)- 273-8000 phone
(973)-648-4908 fax

Special Note:

Rutgers University in no way endorses or encourages organizations to hold or sponsor bingo and raffle events. The above procedures have been enumerated for information purposes only. The Division of Student Affairs and Rutgers University accept no responsibility or liability for legalized games of chance sponsored by student organizations. Adherence to the appropriate procedures and applicable state and local municipality laws and ordinances is the sole responsibility of the sponsoring organization. The sponsoring organization will be in violation of state and local law if tickets are printed and/or sold or if a bingo or raffle event is advertised or publicized prior to receiving the New Jersey registration certificate and the local municipal games of chance license.