Chalking On Campus
As a registered student organization, you may use chalking as a way to publicize campus events or express an opinion on current issues. However, use of chalk for any other purpose is prohibited. Failure to abide by this standard will result in disciplinary fines and the removal of the chalked messages.
- Submit a “Chalking Request form,” available online on the getINVOLVED website, at least five days prior to actual chalking Quick Links for Student Organizations
- Drawings may not be destructive or libelous in any way.
- The University does not provide chalk for the purposes of this policy.
- Messages must be written at least 30 feet from the entrance to any building and at least two feet from any grass areas or plants.
- Chalking may only be done on asphalt and concrete walkways (not brick) as long as these areas are exposed to the weather elements.
- Messages shall not be written on any vertical surface, which includes buildings, signs, walls, pillars, posts, benches, planters, doors, windows, fountains, gates, retaining walls, bridges, trash receptacles, steps, light posts, bus stops, posters, tables, trees, etc.
- Chalking is allowed for five working days; cleanup must be conducted by the responsible party at the conclusion of the 5th working day. It is the sole responsibility of the requester. If chalking is not removed, there will be a charge for the cleanup of $50.
- Chalk must be both water-soluble and erasable; Spray chalk or grease based chalk is prohibited
- The individual who received permission to chalk must be present at the time of the chalking and have a copy of the approved “Chalking Request Form” form with him or her.
The Division of Student Affairs reserves the right to deny any request.